It is hard to believe that just one week ago, we had our final zoning public hearing in which the Board of Supervisors voted 5-0 to approve our Special Exemption Permit for the Bed and Breakfast. I know in the days before this meeting, I had been wishing for it to hurry up so we could get started doing all the things we needed to get the doors open.
One week later, my head is spinning!
I think from the moment we walked out of the meeting, we haven’t stopped! We have been going from phone call to meeting to filling out forms to researching for contractors to gathering proposals… urgh!
Don’t get me wrong. I am not unhappy with all the work, but wow!
It went from zero to sixty in 2.5 seconds!
On the agenda right now:
- We need to get some minor repairs done around the mansion. It hasn’t been lived in for many years and has had some settling that has happened. So we have contacted several “Handyman Contractors” and set appointments to get estimates for the work we need to get done.
- We need to get some plumbing work done too. With no one there to run the water, things need to be flushed out. We have a contractor for it and once the proposal is approved, we will have them working on it.
- We need to get the driveway and parking lot installed. We have the proposal approved, but we need to get a telephone pole out of the way so we can get it done. The power company is going to be moving it within the next two weeks. Lucky for us, they are going to let us keep the old telephone pole. They are going to let us attach the osprey platform Brett built and they will “plant” it for us. We have to get the osprey nest moved before April 16th or we won’t be able to move it. Talk about a time crunch and balancing act! Whew…
- We need to get the grounds graded to level it out from years of erosion and animals making tunnels underground. We don’t want any one breaking an ankle walking across the lawn. They will also be reseeding parts of the lawn and placing sod up close to the house. But before they can do this, we need to finish getting the bricks pulled up out of the yard from the old sidewalks. Brett and Tyler completed the front of the house, but we still have the side and Riverside to get to. Guess what we will be doing for Easter weekend!
- We need to get the hickory tree cut down from the front of the mansion so we can make way for the driveway. I have tried as hard as I could to find a historic tree company to take the wood to make pens and other items, but the cost is too much for cutting them down and transporting them. It is killing me to think we will lose them.
- We also need to get our ABC license started, get our memberships completed and paid for and get our business license. We have a ton of things to write for the website, brochures and information books for the rooms.
- We also will be moving me up to the plantation this Friday. Brett will be traveling back and forth from Belle Grove to Chesapeake during the week until we open. That means we need to pack my things and get them loaded Friday afternoon.
The best part about this week is Friday is my last day at my current job!!
So while we make some changes this week and get things settled, please forgive me for not reading blogs or answering comments as quickly as I normally do. Once things get in place, I will have a little more time to devote to our blog.
Thank you to everyone for all you support, words of encouragement and prayers!
Without your support, this journey would not have been half as much fun!